Unit 31: Palau
Insert the definite article 'the' where needed.
1. Palau consists of more than 200 islands in __________ Pacific Ocean.
2. Although __________ islands are in a chain about 650 kilometers long, Palau is isolated.
3. __________ nearest countries are far away.
4. For example, __________ Philippines are 850 kilometers away.
5. Palau is beautiful, and __________ weather is warm and tropical. It's a wonderful place for a relaxing vacation in the sun.
6. Tourism and craft items are Palau's industries. Some craft items are made of __________ shells.
7. & 8. Palau has a long history. __________ first people who lived there probably came from __________ Indonesia and other islands in about 1500 B.C.
9. In 1521, __________ Ferdinand Magellan, a famous explorer, visited Palau.
10. Palau was ruled by __________ other countries for many centuries, and became independent in 1994.
Series copyright © 1997-99 by Pearson Education.