Unit 30: The Empire State Building
1. They __________ to build The Empire State Building in 1930.
(A) were starting (B) started (C) start
2. They __________ it thirteen months later, in 1931.
(A) were finishing (B) finishing (C) finished
3. First, they __________ down the old Waldorf Astoria hotel.
(A) were tearing (B) were tore (C) tore
4. & 5. At the same time workers __________ the Empire State Building, many other people __________ no job.
(A) were building (B) had (C) built
6. Every day, men __________ up on the new building working.
(A) stood (B) was standing (C) were stood
7. Down below, many men __________ up from a line hoping to get a job.
(A) did look (B) were looking (C) were look
8. It was an exciting project. Every day a man with a camera __________ photographs.
(A) was taking (B) took (C) is taking
9. The man's photographs __________ to be put into a book about the building of the tallest building in the world.
(A) are going (B) went (C) were going
10. The Empire State Building __________ the tallest building in the world until 1974, when the Sears Tower was built.
(A) was being (B) were (C) was
Series copyright © 1997-99 by Pearson Education.