Unit 23: Computers Then and Now
1. Josh: I talked to my grandfather yesterday about computers. When he was a boy, computers were __________ than they are now. He had a computer that took up a whole room!
(A) larger (B) the largest (C) large
2. Connie: Wow! I have a much __________ computer than that! I have a laptop.
(A) small (B) the smallest (C) smaller
3. Josh: Computers in the 1950's were really large. They were __________ than a person!
(A) big (B) bigger (C) biggest
4. Connie: What was __________ computer?
(A) more taller (B) the tallest (C) tall
5. Josh: I don't know. I will ask my grandfather. Computers were __________ than now, too. They needed a lot of people to move one.
(A) the heaviest (B) heavier (C) heavy
6. Josh: They also weren't cheap. They were much __________ 50 years ago.
(A) more expensive (B) expensive (C) the most expensive
7. Josh: Computers were in big rooms. Computers got very hot. Some rooms were __________ than 85 degrees Celsius.
(A) the hottest (B) hot (C) hotter
8. Connie: Was that OK for the computers? I think computers need __________ rooms!
(A) more chilly (B) chilly (C) chillier
9. Josh: You're right! They had air conditioners. __________ temperature for a computer was about 20 degrees Celsius.
(A) more suitable (B) the most suitable (C) suitable
10. Connie: I think computers are __________ now than they were in the 1950's! Computers are small and don't create a lot of heat.
(A) more convenient (B) convenient (C) the most convenient
Series copyright © 1997-99 by Pearson Education.