Unit 42: Stephen Hawking
1. Stephen Hawking is one of the most remarkable scientists of our day. By the time he was ready to go to college, he __________ that he was very good at math.
(A) already showed (B) has already shown (C) had already shown
2. In fact, he __________ lazy and didn't like to study.
(A) was (B) has been (C) had been
3. He __________ a lot of time drinking with his friends.
(A) spent (B) has spent (C) had spent
4. By the time he graduated from Oxford University, he __________ some symptoms of Lou Gehrig's Disease. The doctors told him he had only two years to live.
(A) already experienced (B) has already experienced (C) had already experienced
5. When he discovered that he had this terrible disease, Hawking __________ depressed.
(A) became (B) has become (C) had become
6. Within a few months months, he __________ that he wanted to have a good life in the time he had left.
(A) decided (B) has decided (C) had decided
7. By the end of 1965, Hawking __________ some important discoveries in physics.
(A) already made (B) has already made (C) had already made
8. By the time he got his Ph.D., Hawking __________ longer than his doctors had expected.
(A) lived (B) has lived (C) had lived
9. When he couldn't talk anymore, someone __________ him a computer to help him.
(A) gave (B) has given (C) had given
10. By the time he was 40, Hawking __________ popular books and become famous all over the world.
(A) published (B) has published (C) had published
Series copyright © 1997-99 by Pearson Education.